USA State Payroll Rates + Resources: State of Rhode Island: Obtaining a TIN + Unemployment Insurance


This document outlines the processes and requirements associated with becoming a new employer in the state of Rhode Island. Specifically, we will cover how to get a Tax Identification Number and Register for Unemployment Insurance. 

Good to Know!

Federal Employer requirements (obtaining a federal identification number, withholding of federal income tax, FICA, and filing of all applicable federal returns (FUTA, 940, 941, and 1099-C) will not be covered below - just Rhode Island requirements. Click here for a basic (not all-inclusive) IRS checklist for Starting a New Business.

Registering for Income Tax Withholding Account and Unemployment Insurance Account

Good To Know!

If you have already registered for an income tax withholding account and unemployment insurance account, please see Unemployment Insurance Reporting & Payments.

For Income Tax Withholding and a determination of being subject to the provisions of Employment Security and Temporary Disability Insurance, new employers should fill out the application on the RI Division of Taxation Combined Online Registration Service web-site. Once there, click Begin.

From here you can log in using an existing account, or click Create an Account to register.

You can also register by filling out a Business Application and Registration.