USA State Payroll Rates + Resources: State of Mississippi: Obtaining a TIN + Unemployment Insurance


This documentation outlines the processes, and requirements associated with becoming a new employer in the state of Mississippi. Specifically, we will cover how to get a Tax Identification Number and Register for Unemployment Insurance. 

Good to Know!

Federal Employer requirements (obtaining a federal identification number, withholding of federal income tax, FICA, and filing of all applicable federal returns (FUTA, 940, 941, and 1099-C) will not be covered below - just the state of Mississippi's requirements. Click here or a basic (not all-inclusive) IRS checklist for Starting a New Business.

Registering for Withholding Tax

Good to Know!

If you already have a state of Mississippi withholding tax account, skip to the next section.

Every employer engaged in business, licensed to do business, or transacts business in Mississippi or who pays wages to a Mississippi resident (regardless of where the services are performed), or pays wages to a non-resident (persons domiciled outside of Mississippi) for services performed in Mississippi must register for a Withholding Tax account.

Applications for registration may be made online through Taxpayer Access Point (TAP) and clicking on Register for taxes.

Odoo CMS - a big picture

Registering for Unemployment Insurance and New Employer Services

Upon payment of $1,000 in wages in a calendar quarter, you must register with the Mississippi Department of Employment Security. Click on register here

Odoo CMS - a big picture