USA State Payroll Rates + Resources: State of New York: Obtaining a TIN + Unemployment Insurance


This documentation outlines the processes and requirements associated with becoming a new employer in the state of New York. Specifically, we will cover how to obtain a Tax Identification Number and Register for Unemployment Insurance.  

Good to Know!

Federal Employer requirements (obtaining a federal identification number, withholding of federal income tax, FICA, and filing of all applicable federal returns (FUTA, 940, 941, and 1099-C) will not be covered below - just the state of New York's requirements.  Click here for a basic (not all-inclusive) IRS checklist for Starting a New Business.

Registering for Income Tax Withholding and Unemployment Insurance 

When you hire employees or buy a business that already has employees who will now be working for you, you must register with New York State. You can register by:

Odoo CMS - a big picture