USA State Payroll Rates + Resources: State of Indiana: Obtaining a TIN + Unemployment Insurance


The purpose of this documentation is to outline the processes and requirements associated with becoming a new employer in the state of Indiana. Specifically, we will be covering how to obtain a Tax Identification Number and Register for Unemployment Insurance. 

Good to Know!

Federal Employer requirements (obtaining a federal identification number, withholding of federal income tax, FICA, and filing of all applicable federal returns (FUTA, 940, 941, and 1099-C) will not be covered below - just the state of Indiana's requirements. Click here for a basic (not all-inclusive) IRS checklist for Starting a New Business.

Registering for a Withholding Account

Good to Know!

If you have already registered for withholding, skip to the next section.

If you have employees working at your business, you’ll need to collect withholding taxes. These are state and county taxes that are withheld from your employees’ wages.

To register for withholding for Indiana, go to Indiana's INBiz website. From this page, look for the Tax Registration icon and click Register Now.

From this next page, click Sign up now

You can also access a printable Form BT-1 and mail it to:

     Indiana Department of Revenue
     Tax Administration Processing
     P. O. Box 6197
     Indianapolis, IN 46206-6197

Register for Unemployment Insurance Account

Entities are liable for UI premiums under SUTA and are considered an employer if the entity has liability to pay one dollar ($1) or more in remuneration to a covered worker. It must register with the Indiana Department of Workforce Development (DWD) during the first quarter it is liable to report wages.

Please note that the organization should provide both a mailing address and a physical address where the work is performed in Indiana if those are not the same. 

Do not wait until the first report is due to start the registration process.

The organization can register online using the Uplink Employer Self Service program 

From the Uplink site, click the Register or First Time User button.  

If you can't register online you can register by completing State Form 2837 (SUTA Account Number Application and Disclosure form). Please be aware that filing a paper registration form can significantly delay the registration process.

You may also obtain the form by calling DWD at (800) 891-6499 and selecting the employer tax option.

Completed forms must be mailed or faxed to:

     IDWD - Employer Status Reports
     10 N Senate Ave Rm Se 202
     Indianapolis, IN 46204-2277
     Fax (317) 233-2706