USA State Payroll Rates + Resources: State of Kansas: Obtaining a TIN + Unemployment Insurance


The purpose of this documentation is to outline the processes and requirements associated with becoming a new employer in the state of Kansas. Specifically, we will be covering how to obtain a Tax Identification Number and Register for Unemployment Insurance. 

Good to Know!

Federal Employer requirements (obtaining a federal identification number, withholding of federal income tax, FICA, and filing of all applicable federal returns (FUTA, 940, 941, and 1099-C) will not be covered below - just the state of Kansas' requirements. Click here for a basic (not all-inclusive) IRS checklist for Starting a New Business.

Registering for a Withholding Account

Good to Know!

If you have already registered with the Department of Revenue; Customer Service Center for a withholding account, skip to the next section.

An employer must withhold Kansas tax if the employee is a resident of Kansas, performing services inside or outside of Kansas, or a nonresident of Kansas performing services in Kansas. Any employer or payor who must withhold Federal Income Tax from payments other than wages made to Kansas residents must also withhold Kansas Tax.

If you are accessing the Kansas Department of Revenue’s Customer Service Center, please select the Register Now button.

Register for Unemployment Insurance Tax Number

All employers doing business in Kansas are subject to the provisions of the Employment Security Act.

It is quick and easy to register for an account online on the Kansas Department of Labor website. Once there, clickClick here to register  toward the middle of the page.